Upgraded the forum software

Sure, but no one needs to chip in for it. There are a bunch on the xenforo site in the resources section, then some developers with their own sites. You'd be looking for themes working with 2.x (or 2.2.x)
Like these ones?

You're right... I've seen it flash too. I think it is because you have not yet clicked on each alert before you reload. Try that, and I think it will stop flashing red. I think the number is indicating how many un-clicked alerts there are, so it may show more than one... but I'm not certain.
That's the most likely reason for it.

Also, still not that great on mobile. It works, but it UX is not all that good.

Maybe this is a good time/place to ask this:

Is it a simple matter to enable identifying the Thread Starter (Original Poster)? Or does this also need an extension? For example, I've seen (forums.freebsd.org) the avatar is modified with "OP" and this seems useful, especially in a long multi-page thread. The freebsd forum also uses Xenforo. Here's a sample pic below, but any method would be fine... a nice enhancement, I think.

op.png

Well, while I'm at it....

1. Can "drag and drop images" (from my computer) be implemented in conversations? Currently the only way to show an image is to link to a website.

2. Can the 5-minute timeout limit in conversations (time allowed to edit a post) be increased?

3. Can a "Search" feature be enabled to work in conversations?

(Asking for a friend! ;))

@stan, I like your style !

Very necessary additions.

Is it a simple matter to enable identifying the Thread Starter (Original Poster)? Or does this also need an extension? For example, I've seen (forums.freebsd.org) the avatar is modified with "OP" and this seems useful, especially in a long multi-page thread. The freebsd forum also uses Xenforo. Here's a sample pic below, but any method would be fine... a nice enhancement, I think.

View attachment 10732
Great idea - i'll look around for that add-on!

Well, while I'm at it....

1. Can "drag and drop images" (from my computer) be implemented in conversations? Currently the only way to show an image is to link to a website.

2. Can the 5-minute timeout limit in conversations (time allowed to edit a post) be increased?

3. Can a "Search" feature be enabled to work in conversations?

(Asking for a friend! ;))
1. You can upload images in the 'attach files' button
2. Sure - i can extend that timeout (edit: i 'think' i just set it to forever)
3. Hmm.. i'll have to look into that one

Last edited:
You can upload images in the 'attach files' button
Where is that ?

I think I have my glasses on the right way up.....

Edit to Add
The 'attach file" button is present on most areas/pages of the site....but is not present on conversation pages

Last edited:
Where is that ?

I think I have my glasses on the right way up.....

Edit to Add
The 'attach file" button is present on most areas/pages of the site....but is not present on conversation pages
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh in conversations.. i'll have to look into that haha

Sure - i can extend that timeout (edit: i 'think' i just set it to forever)
Is that change you made instantaneous?

Glad I wasn't holding my breath !

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh in conversations.. i'll have to look into that haha
Yes, all of the questions were for conversations (except the Original Poster indicator).

The "Edit" time-out is still at 5 minutes in conversation. I think it is "forever" for regular threads. And as Brian noted, there is no "Attach files" in conversations... also just in regular threads.

Thanks, Rob!

Check again now lol :) I found the settings for conv
Awesome no time limit anymore for editing pm's, would it also be possible to allow uploading of attachments in conversations instead of only being able to link to an external source or would that cause too much of increase of disk-space usuage?

Last edited:
Confirming... we have Edit and Attach Files options in conversations now. Thanks again!

I don't know if you can make Search work in conversations, but that would be sweet also.

Reactions: Rob