What are the first five applications you install when you do a fresh Linux installation?

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
  1. Chrome & Chromium (read: alternative browsers)
  2. Terminator & xfce4-terminal (read: alternative terminals)
  3. ksystemlog
  4. luckyBackup
  5. Audacity, Shutter, XnView (read: simple media editing tools)
That's more or less the case. I change some system settings first and install updates first - but those are generally the first applications I install. I add so many applications that I'm not sure why I bother with a full-blown distro and not just build up from a minimal install. I then install stuff as I need it, ending up with way too many things installed at the end. I'm like a pack-rat, hording installed software. I seldom uninstall anything. Disk space is cheap.

Feel free to make your list longer or shorter. I ain't picky.

lm-sensors
xsensors

ufw
firejail

gparted
gnome disk utility

After install and updating I do some system tweaking nothing much.

OEM OOTB Linux works for me and always has more unnecessary useless software than I'll ever need or use so whatever I can uninstall without complications I will remove.

I wish more Linux distros would offer a core only or base only with cli and than let the user install the type of user interface and wanted software.

I wish more Linux distros would offer a core only or base only with cli and than let the user install the type of user interface and wanted software.

There's a minimal install Lubuntu in the works, or at least being examined as a possibility.

For Debian-based Distros I have a script named

bunmint

Contents are

Code:
#!/bin/bash

sudo apt-get -y install kazam gtkhash aisleriot vokoscreen gparted
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gezakovacs/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install unetbootin

I know, that is 6 :) - if Synaptic is not installed I include that

Wiz

BTW I also install Waterfox as a Browser, a little more versatile than Firefox.

@KGIII Do you mean actual user applications after the GUI is installed or anything installed after the base system? Just asking because I run Arch on my desktop and I still have quite a few things to install after the base system is installed.

Last edited:
I haven't reached the ''5 applications'' mark yet.
1) blender (not actually installed)
2) librewolf (image not installed)
3)looking forward to actually install fontforge

Actually, you can do that with quite a fair amount of distros; Debian and OpenSuse both offer a netinstall ISO, so you can build your system up from the ground as you see fit. Ubuntu, Fedora and most distros have a server edition. Alpine Linux, Arch, Gentoo and Slackware can be made whatever you want. Antix has both; netinstall and core version to play with. Q4OS has a pure/developer mode you can choose to install at boot. Arcolinux has 3 different editions to play with at your heart's content. Manjaro has Manjaro Architect. These are just to name a few, but there are plenty more.

The apps I usually install depend on the distro type I'm running/installing at the moment, but generally speaking, it's always a file manager and a web browser.

Yeah I'm doing Antix core and Ubuntu minimal cd already and looking into Arcolinux i3 version.

The Top 5 assumes Firefox, Thunderbird, and LibreOffice are included with distro.

1. KeePass2 (which I manually update to latest version not in repos)
2. Filezilla (because I maintain a couple of websites)
3. Wine (because of a couple of Windows programs I can't live without)
4. HomeBank (because it is FAR EASIER to use than GnuCash)
5. Vivaldi (and sometimes Chromium as spare browsers)

And beyond those above:

6. TeamViewer (because I am remote tech support for friends and family)
7. Zim (notes I want to save)
8. Gpredict (satellite tracking program)
9. Stellarium (astronomy program)
10. VirtualBox (for testing... something I do a lot)
11. DOSBox (for one REALLY OLD program that I still use)
12. Calibre (excellent e-book manager and reader)

A few others, if not included with distro: VLC, Xfburn, Brasero, Open Shot, Audacity, Gparted, Balena Etcher, AisleRiot Solitaire

Yes, but you can write anything you want.
After I have installed a winow manager(i3) and the other basic applications a normal distribution comes with my top 5 applications would be:
1. KVM/QEMU/Virt-Manager
2. Xfce4-terminal and zsh
3. Steam
4. Spotify
5. Ristretto

That would be cool.

If I remember, I'll post a thread when it drops. I may move to the minimal install when it's time. I tend to replace a lot of 'stock' apps and just use the ones that I prefer.

I am also prepared to move to LXQt finally. I now know how to make it a completely dark theme. The lack of a completely dark theme was keeping me from being all that motivated, though time was also a serious constraint.

If I remember, I'll post a thread when it drops.
Cool Thanks.

I may move to the minimal install when it's time. I tend to replace a lot of 'stock' apps and just use the ones that I prefer.
That's what I prefer however doesn't always work out although I'm willing to break my Linux distro trying cause doing a new clean install don't really take that long.

I am also prepared to move to LXQt finally. I now know how to make it a completely dark theme. The lack of a completely dark theme was keeping me from being all that motivated, though time was also a serious constraint.
Cool :cool:
I haven't quite got into or used to the dark theme mode.
I don't know, kinda like taste in beer ya either like or ya don't.

But if you the user is happy with it than that's all that matters imo.
Here again all about user choice.

Here again all about user choice.

I'm not too picky about my DE, so long as it has a dark theme applied everywhere and it just gets out of my way and lets me get things done.

Also, I need to be able to turn off all system notifications. That's mandatory, but is part of it getting out of my way. No, I don't want notifications. No, I don't want you telling me that I just plugged in a USB device. I know I just plugged in a device, thanks. No, you don't need to tell me when you're connected to a network. It's a connected device, it should be connected to the 'net. If it isn't, I'll notice.

Hmm... Well, I should probably stop with the digression.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts