Solved What to do first?

Solved issue

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
I consider myself an intermediate tech and Windows software junky, but Linux is totally new for me. I know Linux is definitely NOT Windows but there are some things I learned along the way that are probably relevant here. Due to my lack of experience with Linux, I have to use Windows verbiage and hope I'm understood.

I would ordinarily use 4 separate post for each question. If I new which should be done first I would start at the beginning. Given that I don't, well I hope my ignorance will be overlooked.

1 System updates, system upgrades

Sometimes the order of updates as opposed to updating to a new version of software important. That's my first question.

When I logged in I saw a message that my system needs attention. The update manager in the task bar had a (yellow? exclamation point?) When I clicked on it, it said there is a new version of Linux. I had another message that my system needs to be updated. In the world of the Giant, system updates precede system upgrades. Sometimes drivers and other software should be updated as well (Kernels for drivers I think). I installed all the system updates first. The "Update Manager" reports that my system is up to date. I had another message that a new version of LInux Mint is available.

Since this is a brand new install and I still have training wheels, I want to make sure there is nothing else that should be done before upgrading to 21.3

2 Security software.

I've been given contradictory information on this. I've been told it's not needed with Linux. I've been told that if I use Live as an everyday OS, I do need it.
So do I need it or not? I'm careful about the websites I visit, but that only goes so far.

When I renewed my subscription for security software, I made sure it would be compatible with Linux if I actually need it. Avast One.

3 VPN

It's not just the privacy aspect of having a VPN. The VPN I use has a dramatic effect on internet speed. It's MUCH FASTER!
When should I install it?

4 Installing software

As I understand it, installing software in Linux isn't as simple as downloading it, accepting the terms of use and allowing the installer to do its work. If so, I'll need help. I put that in a different thread.

It seems to me that making sure I have all system updates and then upgrade to 21.3 should be done first. I want to make sure I do it right though. For help with each of these questions, I can put them all in their own posts according to priority. Right now I need to know the priority.

Thank you for your patience with this Newbie! And all the help getting here!

UPDATE EDIT

I've just been told that the very first thing I need to do is set up Timeshift and create my first snap shot.

I'll start there.

Last edited:

AND DRIVERS!! I'm pretty sure I need to get them for my monitor!

I've just been told that the very first thing I need to do is set up Timeshift and create my first snap shot.

I'll start there.

Likely no need, nor for updates, yet.

Gimme a moment to grab my 2nd coffee to work changing from a wizard to human, and I'll explain further.

Wizard

(slurp)

Menu - Administration - Timeshift ... right-click and Add to panel.

Click Timeshift icon and enter password, you'll be brought to a Setup Wizard window. Just look at that one for a moment, see that it is set to RSYNC, and choose Finish (we can look at the customising of the setup later.)

You will likely have a window which shows one, maybe two snapshots having been taken.

The first will likely have a timestamp of a couple of seconds past the hour at 2am? (from your last night).

Is that so?

Wiz

Likely no need, nor for updates, yet.

Gimme a moment to grab my 2nd coffee to work changing from a wizard to human, and I'll explain further.

Wizard
Take your time. I like to read a little bit about something new before diving in. If it's not needed yet or at all, that's great! I can move forward then.

I'm almost positive I need drivers for my monitor. Sometimes when I switch tabs in the browser, it goes blank for a few seconds, sometimes longer. As I recall, drivers have to do with kernels. You don't install a driver, you install a kernel? Something like that. You see, I started some reading before I could do a full install! That was in one of the tutorials I've been looking at!

I'm going to post questions about Timeshift separately. The last thing I need right now is to get directions mixed up!
(slurp)

Menu - Administration - Timeshift ... right-click and Add to panel.

Click Timeshift icon and enter password, you'll be brought to a Setup Wizard window. Just look at that one for a moment, see that it is set to RSYNC, and choose Finish (we can look at the customising of the setup later.)

You will likely have a window which shows one, maybe two snapshots having been taken.

The first will likely have a timestamp of a couple of seconds past the hour at 2am? (from your last night).

Is that so?

Wiz
I started a separate thread for Timeshift so things don't get jumbled in this one.

Timeshift set up

I'm going to paste your directions in the new thread

If you want, go here

My Timeshift Thread

It's there to keep all Timeshift stuff together.

I have used it over 10,000 times, Brian is likely 2nd-most experienced.

I didn't paste anything after I saw your message to keep it here. Maybe that thread should be deleted?

I have it on the desktop. I didn't know it was already installed. I got use my first command though!
sudo apt install timeshift

I'm going to open it up now and have a look...

BEFORE WE START...
A couple of questions...

Right now, the only thing I have to back up the system is a 64GB thumb drive. I'm not sure right now how big the system is right now. Do you think 64GB will be enough?

Second question:

Can I upload the snapshot as a file to my Google Drive?

Questions for my Timeshift thread, or else you will confuse yourself and others, lol.

next; open a fresh topic entitled....Upgrade from LM21.2 to LM21.3

Did you write down your User Password somewhere safe ?
Is your Internal Drive an HDD or SSD ?
When you install Linux...the best thing to do is forget everything windoze. You don't need antivirus software or drivers for your Monitor...I have a new HDMI Monitor (6 mths old)...I just plugged it in to Motherboard.
m1213.gif

When I do a clean install of Mint Cinnamon...this is what I do...open System Settings...click Menu and click System Settings.
1. In System Settings...go down to Software Sources...enter your password...you'll see Mirrors...double click Main and select the fastest...do the same for Base.
2. Install all Updates.
3. Enable the Firewall in System Settings
4. Go to Themes in System Settings...you can change things there.
5. In System Settings...go to Desktop...you can put Computer...Home...Trash...Mounted Drives on the Desktop...it's up to you.
6. Driver Manager...in System Settings go down to Driver Manager...click it and wait as it scans.
7. Backgrounds...click it to choose your Desktop background...you can also add your own.
8. Date and Time...System Settings...Date and Time...easy to work out...I change to 12 hour clock.
9. Install all your Software...Menu...Software Manager...you can also install Software in the Terminal but that's another story.
At this point I install my Web Browsers...ad ons etc.
10. Change DNS...we'll get to this later.
11. Install Printer/Scanner.
12. Setup Timeshift.
13. Sound...I change my Bootup sound...that's optional.
14. After all of the above...I then create an Image of the Drive because I don't want to do this allover should anything happen.

Well that's about it...I may have forgotten something...you don't have to learn all this at once...take your time...I assure you in no time you'll get the hang of it...it's not hard. Hope this helps.
m1212.gif

PS. If your Drive is an SSD you can optimise it to run more efficiently but that's much later.
PSS. No need to upgrade as your version is supported till 2027
m1213.gif

Last edited:
Did you write down your User Password somewhere safe ?
Is your Internal Drive an HDD or SSD ?
When you install Linux...the best thing to do is forget everything windoze. You don't need antivirus software or drivers for your Monitor...I have a new HDMI Monitor (6 mths old)...I just plugged it in to Motherboard.
m1213.gif

When I do a clean install of Mint Cinnamon...this is what I do...open System Settings...click Menu and click System Settings.
1. In System Settings...go down to Software Sources...enter your password...you'll see Mirrors...double click Main and select the fastest...do the same for Base.
2. Install all Updates.
3. Enable the Firewall in System Settings
4. Go to Themes in System Settings...you can change things there.
5. In System Settings...go to Desktop...you can put Computer...Home...Trash...Mounted Drives on the Desktop...it's up to you.
6. Driver Manager...in System Settings go down to Driver Manager...click it and wait as it scans.
7. Backgrounds...click it to choose your Desktop background...you can also add your own.
8. Date and Time...System Settings...Date and Time...easy to work out...I change to 12 hour clock.
9. Install all your Software...Menu...Software Manager...you can also install Software in the Terminal but that's another story.
At this point I install my Web Browsers...ad ons etc.
10. Change DNS...we'll get to this later.
11. Install Printer/Scanner.
12. Setup Timeshift.
13. Sound...I change my Bootup sound...that's optional.
14. After all of the above...I then create an Image of the Drive because I don't want to do this allover should anything happen.

Well that's about it...I may have forgotten something...you don't have to learn all this at once...take your time...I assure you in no time you'll get the hang of it...it's not hard. Hope this helps.
m1212.gif

PS. If your Drive is an SSD you can optimise it to run more efficiently but that's much later.
PSS. No need to upgrade as your version is supported till 2027
m1213.gif
Okay! That's a lot. I've already gotten all the 21.2 updates and upgraded to 21.3. The driver manager reports there are no new ones...

At this point, please excuse my wordage. I've been speaking Windows for a very long time! There is a lot I don't know about this laptop yet. It's a back up for my preferred PC. My ASUS is in the hospital right now!

The default resolution on my monitor, an LG is
2560x1080(16:9)
60 Hz refresh rate.
The closest system setting is
2560 x 1440 (16:9)
59.5 Hz
My LG is the primary display.
The built in display resolution is
1333 x 768 (16:9)
Refresh rate is 60 Hz
grayed out, can't be changed.
I can change settings on the monitor itself. The resolution, aspect ratio and refresh rate. There are presets for Vivid, HD, cinema reading, and some other stuff. I'm wondering is if there isn't enough ram on this laptop to for the graphics to run smoothly, or the graphics card can't "handle" the resolution and settings that might hog more resources.

I don't have a lot of experience messing with resolution, but it seems to me that this big difference may have something to do with it. I haven't had a chance to find out anything about the graphics card regarding my monitor. And it's also getting late here

Also, I know what DNS is. DNS over HTTPS is better. No IP leaks with my VPN!

EDIT

The default refresh rate on my monitor is 75 Hz

Last edited:
The default resolution on my monitor, an LG is
2560x1080(16:9)
60 Hz refresh rate.
The closest system setting is
2560 x 1440 (16:9)
59.5 Hz
My LG is the primary display.
The built in display resolution is
1333 x 768 (16:9)
Refresh rate is 60 Hz
grayed out, can't be changed.
I can change settings on the monitor itself. The resolution, aspect ratio and refresh rate. There are presets for Vivid, HD, cinema reading, and some other stuff. I'm wondering is if there isn't enough ram on this laptop to for the graphics to run smoothly, or the graphics card can't "handle" the resolution and settings that might hog more resources.

I don't have a lot of experience messing with resolution, but it seems to me that this big difference may have something to do with it. I haven't had a chance to find out anything about the graphics card regarding my monitor. And it's also getting late here

Also, I know what DNS is. DNS over HTTPS is better. No IP leaks with my VPN!
Well, I know enough about DNS to know that it's better for me to use it. If I have IP leaks, my systems runs a lot slower surfing the internet. I can't keep DNS over HTTPS as a permanent setting anymore with Brave browser. If there's a way around it, I have other gripes about Brave too. I prefer my Firefox and that's about it.

Okay! That's a lot. I've already gotten all the 21.2 updates and upgraded to 21.3. The driver manager reports there are no new ones...

At this point, please excuse my wordage. I've been speaking Windows for a very long time! There is a lot I don't know about this laptop yet. It's a back up for my preferred PC. My ASUS is in the hospital right now!

If you see in the Update Manager...under Edit...upgrade to Linux Mint 21.3...you don't have to do it...you'll still get all updates and support till 2027...I'm running 21.1 and wont do a clean install till 22.1 comes out...anyway it wont be long before you'll say..."windoze what's that".

I stopped using windoze (7) nearly 9 years ago...I wouldn't know how to use windoze now and proud of it too.
m1203.gif

I know it's a lot to take in all at once...I'm still learning but I'm not paranoid as I was in windoze and we all know what that was like.
t3612.gif

Last edited:
If you see in the Update Manager...under Edit...upgrade to Linux Mint 21.3...you don't have to do it...you'll still get all updates and support till 2027...I' running 21.1 and wont do a clean install till 22.1 comes out...anyway it wont be long before you'll say..."windoze what's that".

I stopped using windoze (7) nearly 9 years ago...I wouldn't know how to use windoze now and proud of it too.
m1203.gif

I know it's a lot to take in all at once...I'm still learning but I'm not paranoid as I was in windoze and we all know what that was like.
t3612.gif
As of now, I'm thrilled to death to have Linux installed and running on my PC. I'll take another look at the release notes. I was experiencing all the bugs with 21.2. Haven't looked the notes for .3 I does seem like the monitor issues are magnified in 21.3.

I prefer my Firefox and that's about it.
if you are looking for a viable alternative....try Waterfox

menu, software manager....right click and add to panel

Open software Manager, type in Waterfox ....install it....give it a run

let me know if I have this correct; Your Asus tower is still not working correctly?

Currently, you have LM21.3 running on a lenovo laptop?

You have a LG monitor plugged into that laptop?

If all that is correct, copy and paste this command into Terminal

INI:
inxi -G

and then copy and paste the results back here

Last edited:
if you are looking for a viable alternative....try Waterfox

menu, software manager....right click and add to panel

Open software Manager, type in Waterfox ....install it....give it a run

let me know if I have this correct; Your Asus tower is still not working correctly?

Currently, you have LM21.3 running on a lenovo laptop?

You have a LG monitor plugged into that laptop?

If all that is correct, copy and paste this command into Terminal

INI:
inxi -G
I'm going to wait on this until tomorrow. I need to go to sleep in about 20 minutes. I do that right now, I'll never go to bed

Members online

Latest posts