Solved What to do first?

Solved issue
The Asus may also have integrated graphics....it may not rely solely on a stand alone graphics card. Most motherboards have a chip which deals with integrated graphics......so hooking the LG monitor up to the Asus may still produce a screen where you can see what is going on ?....worth a try.

Note that the graphics card would need to be taken out, before any integrated graphics would function.
I posted something that earlier related to this... Let me dig it up. I delete the rambling parts and copy the relevant parts.

It's all here in post #6. I'm sure by now you've noticed that I have a tendency to ramble. Just be glad that I can edit out a lot of rambling before I post. I

The most relevant parts will explain everything: The capacitor, soldering iron and probably why I can't see anything.

So it makes sense, Booh-Kitty V was an old computer. I had graphics problems with that one. What happened is that the heat sink fan failed. The integrated graphics card was damaged. I put a stand alone graphics card in it. That fixed it.

However, with BK V, I could see BOSD codes. That's how I figured out that my problem had something to do with graphics. Back then we only had BIOS. I haven't tried booting into that new "BIOS", can't remember the exact name right now, UEFI or something like that. Maybe I if I did I would see something. I could do that after looking up which F key I need to do it. Just hold it down and wait to see something.

I dedided to put the ASUS on the back burner. I wasn't having graphics problems after loading Live Linux. I wanted to get on with fully installing Linux.

Booh-Kitty VII is the ASUS I have now.

Last edited:
If you want to read more about why AVs are not necessary on Linux, read the link below. The website is written by Pjotr of Linux Mint's forums. The whole site is good. And if you come across any of his posts on the Mint forums, his advice is always spot on.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/security.html
I appreciate this. Right now, I'm still sorting out some stuff so some of us can all be on the same page! I haven't made it to antivirus yet!

I haven't made it to antivirus yet!

When you do, do yourself a favour and read Ron @ron.alan 's linked article top to bottom first, I have just bookmarked it - it puts into words better than I could say, reasons why you don't need AV with Linux.

If you have a firewall at your router, and you have a Linux software firewall such as ufw or other, in place, then it is as I say in my signature

ON AV - nothing is bulletproof, but I wear kevlar - I use linux.

Off to my Timeshift thread.

What to do first?​

Let's check off the boxes.

So far, you have
  • Installed a full version of LM 21.2
  • Learned how to take a Timeshift snapshot to restore from if needed
  • learned how to enable and run your software firewall
  • Upgraded to LM 21.3
  • Run updates on that
  • Made the acquaintance of inxi for looking at your system configuration, and supplying it to others if need be
  • Installed a package from Terminal (even if Timeshift was not actually needed, lol)
... doing very well, and I don't patronise. ;)

You can brainstorm for yourself, make a list and run it by us.

You could have a read of 10 things to do after installing LM 21.3 Cinnamon (actually way more than 10, lol)

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/first-mint-cinnamon.html

You want to look at CAD options?

There is a site call AlternativeTo - make it your friend. Just type in your search engine eg

"alternative to autocad"

and you should find it

It's always a good idea to look at what may already be in your Repositories for installing, and for that we can talk about

Synaptic Package Manager

which you already have installed.

Let us know your "druthers" (I'd rather do this, I'd rather do that - are what I call druthers) ;)

Cheers

Wiz, and give yourself a pat on the back.

... and of course there is your monitor/graphics

I think I have enough on this question for now. If I can figure how, I'm going to mark it "Solved"

@Condobloke

I don't see a way to mark this as "Solved". I think I have enough answers for now.

Do this by scrolling up to the top of the page and selecting the drop down beside the 'support linux.org donation sign

That will open the small window headed More options

Click on Edit Thread ...and click on (no prefix) ....and then Solved

I'll find a screenshot for you...... 1 minute

Do this by scrolling up to the top of the page and selecting the drop down beside the 'support linux.org donation sign

That will open the small window headed More options

Click on Edit Thread ...and click on (no prefix) ....and then Solved

I'll find a screenshot for you...... 1 minute
I found it without screen shots.
Thank you!

Members online