Debian boot issue on HP M01-F3006 with Ryzen AMD 5 chip and integrated GPU

mattdom142

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, first time here and first time with Linux.

My project is a Linux CNC build and I got this new computer to run the software. But I got stuck. Did some searching and did not find what I was looking for exactly. Your help would be very appreciated.

I set up my Debian to boot from a USB stick. And that process was a success. But when I complete the install and reboot. I get stuck on a black screen with blinking cursor.

I then got the System Rescue and made it all the way thru with that, but now have no idea what to do to fix the issue causing the black screen.

Here are some little bits of information that should help narrow things down.

1) When I get stuck at the black screen and power down the machine, the screen will display briefly the shut down text, as if Debian was running, but not displaying. (possible driver issue GPU)

2) SystemRescue works 100% and if someone knows what i need to do with that to fix my black screen issue please let me know. (system rescue instructions)

3) The PC is brand new and I don't think any hardware is bad. (hardware probably ok)

4) I tested my USB Debian drive on an old ASUS pc 100% worked. (USB and Software are fine)

Your help guiding me to the correct post for this issue would be very appreciated or answering it directly here would be fantastic.

Thanks Matt

Hello Matt, welcome to the world of Linux! I'm glad to help you with your issue. It indeed sounds like a possible GPU driver issue or a problem with the display manager. Let's try a few steps to troubleshoot the problem.

I am not sure what GPU you have since you didn't say:
  1. When you're at the black screen with a blinking cursor, try pressing Ctrl + Alt + F1 or Ctrl + Alt + F2 to switch to a different virtual console. This should bring up a text-based login prompt. If you can see the prompt, log in using your credentials.
  2. If you were able to log in, let's first try to update the system and install any missing drivers. Run the following commands:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  1. After updating, let's check if the GPU drivers are installed. You didn't mention your GPU model, so I'll provide instructions for both NVIDIA and AMD cards:
    a. For NVIDIA, install the proprietary drivers using:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver
    b. For AMD, the open-source drivers should be included in the kernel, but you can also try installing firmware-amd-graphics package:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firmware-amd-graphics
  2. Now let's check if the display manager is running properly. The default display manager for Debian is usually GDM, but it could be LightDM or another one. Check its status using:
Code:
sudo systemctl status gdm

Replace gdm with your display manager if it's different. If it's not running or has any errors, try to restart it:

Code:
sudo systemctl restart gdm
  1. After making these changes, reboot the system using sudo reboot and see if the issue is resolved.
If these steps don't resolve the issue, please provide more details about your hardware (e.g., GPU model) and any error messages you encountered during the process. That will help us to narrow down the issue and provide more specific guidance. Good luck!

Hello Matt, welcome to the world of Linux! I'm glad to help you with your issue. It indeed sounds like a possible GPU driver issue or a problem with the display manager. Let's try a few steps to troubleshoot the problem.

I am not sure what GPU you have since you didn't say:
  1. When you're at the black screen with a blinking cursor, try pressing Ctrl + Alt + F1 or Ctrl + Alt + F2 to switch to a different virtual console. This should bring up a text-based login prompt. If you can see the prompt, log in using your credentials.
  2. If you were able to log in, let's first try to update the system and install any missing drivers. Run the following commands:
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  1. After updating, let's check if the GPU drivers are installed. You didn't mention your GPU model, so I'll provide instructions for both NVIDIA and AMD cards:
    a. For NVIDIA, install the proprietary drivers using:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver
    b. For AMD, the open-source drivers should be included in the kernel, but you can also try installing firmware-amd-graphics package:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firmware-amd-graphics
  2. Now let's check if the display manager is running properly. The default display manager for Debian is usually GDM, but it could be LightDM or another one. Check its status using:
Code:

Replace gdm with your display manager if it's different. If it's not running or has any errors, try to restart it:

Code:
sudo systemctl restart gdm
  1. After making these changes, reboot the system using sudo reboot and see if the issue is resolved.
If these steps don't resolve the issue, please provide more details about your hardware (e.g., GPU model) and any error messages you encountered during the process. That will help us to narrow down the issue and provide more specific guidance. Good luck!
Ok I worked on it last night and let run the updates.

The updates where completed and the drivers are now up to date.

sudo systemct1 status gdm was not recognized as a command.

so i just restarted the machine with sudo restart

the problem is the same. a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner.

I have an integrate GPU with the Ryzen 5 chip. The GPU was done by AMD.

My exact model is the HP M01-F3006

no error messages.

It is not unusual for cutting edge [latest] kit not to work as expected, this in the main due to driver problems [it usually takes between 6 and 9 months for the boys and girls who back engineer the component drivers to do their bit]
if you can run a live distribution from the pen-drive and connect to the internet, please run from the terminal inxi -Fnxz and past the result back so we can see exactly what your box is made of.

It is not unusual for cutting edge [latest] kit not to work as expected, this in the main due to driver problems [it usually takes between 6 and 9 months for the boys and girls who back engineer the component drivers to do their bit]
if you can run a live distribution from the pen-drive and connect to the internet, please run from the terminal inxi -Fnxz and past the result back so we can see exactly what your box is made of.
Thank you I'll give that a go.

The system rescue works just fine. Is there a way to figure out how it is working and take what I need get that installed?

Just tried the inxi-Fnxz and the result was "command not found"

Ok, you would need to install it to the "live" operation from the software manager, so for now I will go through what i know about your office desktop,
Unless you have had it modified [or it has been modified for your particular country] the processor and motherboard have been on the market for over 2 years, both should be supported by Linux, It should have a RTL chipset for the network [you may need the correct drivers]
If it has an additional graphics card, this will disable the onboard graphics at boot and may need propriotry drivers.
in general, check the cable between box and screen [I have had problems in the past with HP using older cables]
Did you disable both Safe boot and Windows Quick-start[fast-boot] in the UEFI/Bios before you installed Linux,
after checking the above, if you are still having problems try MX-22.AHS as it has more up-to-date graphics drivers than many distributions

Ok, you would need to install it to the "live" operation from the software manager, so for now I will go through what i know about your office desktop,
Unless you have had it modified [or it has been modified for your particular country] the processor and motherboard have been on the market for over 2 years, both should be supported by Linux, It should have a RTL chipset for the network [you may need the correct drivers]
If it has an additional graphics card, this will disable the onboard graphics at boot and may need propriotry drivers.
in general, check the cable between box and screen [I have had problems in the past with HP using older cables]
Did you disable both Safe boot and Windows Quick-start[fast-boot] in the UEFI/Bios before you installed Linux,
after checking the above, if you are still having problems try MX-22.AHS as it has more up-to-date graphics drivers than many distributions
Ok, everything hardware related is factory, no mods.

The hardware is working very well. System Rescue works 100% and it is using exactly what i need what ever that is?

Is there a way to figure out what system rescue is doing to get things to work?

Since you have an AMD GPU integrated with your Ryzen 5, you should be using the amdgpu driver. Here are some steps to further troubleshoot the issue:

1. Boot into recovery mode.
  • Boot into recovery mode:
    • Restart your computer and hold the 'Shift' key when the system is booting up.
    • You should see the GRUB bootloader menu. Choose "Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux" and then select the recovery mode option.
  • Once you're in recovery mode, you'll be presented with a menu. Choose "root" to get a command prompt.
2. Once you're in recovery mode and have chosen the "root" option to get a command prompt, try the following commands to verify that the amdgpu driver is being used:
Code:
lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'

You should see a line that says "Kernel driver in use: amdgpu" if the correct driver is being used.

3. Create a new Xorg configuration file with the correct driver settings. Open a new file using a text editor like nano:bash
Code:
nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf

Add the following content to the file:

Code:
Section "Device"
Identifier "AMD"
Driver "amdgpu"
EndSection

Save and exit the text editor by pressing Ctrl + X, then Ctrl + Y, and finally Enter.
Restart your system and see if the issue persists:

Code:
reboot

If you still encounter the black screen issue, you can try switching to a different display manager, such as LightDM, as a workaround:

1. Boot into recovery mode and choose the "root" option to get a command prompt.
2. Install LightDM:

Code:
sudo apt install lightdm

When prompted to choose a display manager, select LightDM.

Reboot your system:

Code:
reboot

Please let us know if any of these solutions work or if you need further assistance.

mattdom142 wrote:
systemct1 status gdm was not recognized as a command.
That command should be: systemctl, that is, with the letter l (lower case L) rather than the number 1 at the end of it. Sometimes fonts can be confusing, like O and 0 :)

mattdom142 wrote:

That command should be: systemctl, that is, with the letter l rather than the number 1at the end of it. Sometimes fonts can be confusing, like O and 0 :)
oh I didn't even notes that when he said that
yeah its a L not a 1
Code:
not
Code:
sudo systemct1 status gdm

Since you have an AMD GPU integrated with your Ryzen 5, you should be using the amdgpu driver. Here are some steps to further troubleshoot the issue:

1. Boot into recovery mode.
  • Boot into recovery mode:
    • Restart your computer and hold the 'Shift' key when the system is booting up.
    • You should see the GRUB bootloader menu. Choose "Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux" and then select the recovery mode option.
  • Once you're in recovery mode, you'll be presented with a menu. Choose "root" to get a command prompt.
2. Once you're in recovery mode and have chosen the "root" option to get a command prompt, try the following commands to verify that the amdgpu driver is being used:
Code:
lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'

You should see a line that says "Kernel driver in use: amdgpu" if the correct driver is being used.

3. Create a new Xorg configuration file with the correct driver settings. Open a new file using a text editor like nano:bash
Code:
nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf

Add the following content to the file:

Code:
Section "Device"
Identifier "AMD"
Driver "amdgpu"
EndSection

Save and exit the text editor by pressing Ctrl + X, then Ctrl + Y, and finally Enter.
Restart your system and see if the issue persists:

Code:
reboot

If you still encounter the black screen issue, you can try switching to a different display manager, such as LightDM, as a workaround:

1. Boot into recovery mode and choose the "root" option to get a command prompt.
2. Install LightDM:

Code:
sudo apt install lightdm

When prompted to choose a display manager, select LightDM.

Reboot your system:

Code:
reboot

Please let us know if any of these solutions work or if you need further assistance.
I got the following message and could not get passed it.

"Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked." I was not able to go any further. What do I do?

oh I didn't even notes that when he said that
yeah its a L not a 1
Code:
not
Code:
sudo systemct1 status gdm
Ok that worked here is what I got back.

Unit gdm.service could not be found.

Failed to restart gdm,service: Unit gdm.service not found

amd graphics is up to date

I also wanted to know what version of debian I have so you all know.

Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

I ran the line of code to verify the GPU Driver is running in the regular command promt and here is what i got back.

0c:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 1638 (rev c9)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 8ab6

light dm is up to date

o by the way my monitor is plugged into the HDMI port.....

Attachments

• IMG_1339.jpg
    IMG_1339.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1340.jpg
    IMG_1340.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Update to all.

I used, sudo passwd root, in the command promt to set the recovery password. Now i can get into recovery mode.

I open the promt at the black screen with Alt+F1

I have to login with my credentials as usual that were set when I loaded Debian 10 (buster)

Below is the screen shot

After I type in the password and then exit i expect to see the menu every one sees but instead i am greeted with this other black screen and rebooting dose not change things. Recovery mode simply goes in an endless loop of password logins and exits that go no were but the second black screen.

I found a redit post where some others where having a similar issue. They found that different drivers and kernel where needed.

My kernel is 4.19.0-21-rt-amd64

One user recommended a kernel at least 5.10 or newer. which the process for this seams way over my head.

Sorry gentlemen, I think the wise decision here is to give up and go get an intel based pc.

We can keep trying till this Friday but by then I'm taking it back and getting an intel machine and trying my luck with that hardware.

Attachments

• IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Did you try MX- from my link, it already includes kernel 5.14 as well as the newest graphic drivers

Install the ISO from the link @Brickwizard provided by create a live USB or disk, and then proceed with the installation.

Install the ISO from the link @Brickwizard provided by create a live USB or disk, and then proceed with the installation.

Boom that works just fine. For anyone else reading this in the Future be sure to use the latest versions for new hardware. My first download was Debian 10 and it had some older stuff that appears to have been the issue.

thank you! now the question is, will the MX version handle LinuxCNC? That was the only reason why this journey started.

thank you both @Brickwizard and @kibasnowpaw. Very helpful and nice people.

in theory you should not have problems as MX is based on Debian Stable
Ok, I will give it a try.

The Linuxcnc documentation says it dose need to have the correct kernel. Linuxcnc has two options to choose from and apparently the kernel Linux has must match with the Linux OS I have.?? I may be miss interpreting that....

Here is the LinuxCNC downloads page http://linuxcnc.org/downloads/

There are some additional instructions here that allow me to avoid Debian 10 as part of the Linuxcnc install. http://linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/getting-started/getting-linuxcnc.html

I'll let you all know what happens.

Members online

Latest posts