Solved help asap, cant boot. Debian (LMDE5) LightDM error due to GPU code I need to remove

Solved issue
Reaction score
Credits
dad is starting work in a week and the Desktop is the only thing that can print in the house. need help asap.

I was trying to follow turbot's guide for installing drivers for the GPU (RX 6400) and so far he has given OK ish advice, but sometimes given not the best advice.

I need help asap, I need to find and disable the command he gave me to implement here:https://www.linux.org/threads/how-to-locate-amd-gpu-on-lmde-5.46327/

to save you time ill just copy and paste it.

he...(it) told me to

((((Code:
glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"

This command will display the GPU that is currently being used for rendering. If it shows your AMD RX 6400 GPU, then you're good to go!

If it shows your Intel GPU (something like "Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630"), don't worry, we can change it. To set your AMD RX 6400 GPU as the default, you'll need to configure the Xorg display server.

Open a terminal and create a new Xorg configuration file using the following command:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf

In the text editor, add the following lines to the file:

Code:
Section "Device"
Identifier "AMD"
Driver "amdgpu"
Option "DRI" "3"
EndSection

Save the changes (Ctrl + O) and exit the editor (Ctrl + X).

Afterwards, reboot your system for the changes to take effect.

Once your system has rebooted, check the GPU being used again with the command:

Code:
glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"

If it now displays your AMD RX 6400 GPU, congratulations, my friend - you're now using your beefy AMD GPU as the default!))))

The part where I got stuck was after putting the code in, and rebooting, all ive been getting is failed light device manager messages and now im in the terminal logged in with sudo permissions and I tried some of the other commands tuxbot told me to do to fix it but they aren't working. I just need to find the X11 folder or wherever I saved this, and remove the code I put in, so I can boot from the crummy gpu of my intel, it may not be able to game but at least it can run and I can use the printer for my dad (he needs to use it like right now)

thanks.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts