Problems to browsing on Debian Linux

luizfernandorg

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys! My name is Luiz!
I'm having this problem with Debian, my computer connects and browses normally for a few minutes like 20 or 30 minutes
then stops browsing, I can't even ping to 1.1.1.1, on cable, so when it stops pinging, I turn the system off and restart it again
and starts to browse normally, but again only for a few minutes. I use macchanger, I don't know if some hacker is blocking
my Mac or IP on the router, if it is something happening on my system or router, or if it is a hacker altering something on the system.

Last edited:

I'm guessing that by ''navigating'' you mean browsing the internet? If that so you have to specify

on Debian you have to use sudo for ping to work
sudo ping 1.1.1.1
also turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox - Settings-General and scroll down towards the bottom under Performance and uncheck everything there
1.png

on Debian you have to use sudo for ping to work

also turn off hardware acceleration in Firefox - Settings-General and scroll down towards the bottom under Performance and uncheck everything there
View attachment 20803
no exactly, I can use ping using a normal user, without a problem, I keep pinging to 1.1.1.1 but only do that for about 30 minutes, and then stops, I read about it, and the router has a service called Lease time, mine is set to 30 minutes, so I lose the IP, I did a script to renew the IP using: dhclient -r, I turn down the interface, change the Mac address and use dhclient -r and turn the interface up. the problem was resolved. but I'll try to change the lease time to 24 hours.

Last edited:
I had to run from the terminal
sudo setcap cap_net_raw=ep $(which ping)
to be able to run Ping command without sudo in Debian

here is my lease time from my router as you can see it is set for 120 minutes I have never had an issue

3.png

Last edited:
So, the problem is happening again, even when I generate a new MAC and get a new IP from the router, it keeps not browsing, which changes in the system could make this behavior? If I restart the system it comes back to browse, but only for a few minutes, I used the internet for 4 hours during the afternoon, and when I accessed my Google account it stopped browsing, right before I logged in it stopped browsing, and I know it is a hacker. The people of the internet provider don't know what is happening, but they know there is no blocked IP or MAC on the router and the lease time is set to 24 hours.

Last edited:
I was surfing the web for about 5 hours earlier today I have no issues - how do you know it is a hacker? - do you use cable as your internet or DSL or Starlink? The reason I ask I was having disconnects and slow seeds and general crappy browser response - I am on cable at 500Mbs down 40Mbs up, so that is fairly fast - MediaCom the company I use came out to investigate - come to find out I was having excess noise coming into the line from the telephone pole where the cable was attached to - ending up replacing the entire outside line from the house to the pole was running at -35db should be around -45 to -50db after they were finished now at -48db so good to go - since then no more issues

Last edited:
Hi guys! My name is Luiz!
I'm having this problem with Debian, my computer connects and browses normally for a few minutes like 20 or 30 minutes
then stops browsing, I can't even ping to 1.1.1.1, on cable, so when it stops pinging, I turn the system off and restart it again
and starts to browse normally, but again only for a few minutes. I use macchanger, I don't know if some hacker is blocking
my Mac or IP on the router, if it is something happening on my system or router, or if it is a hacker altering something on the system.
It might be interesting to know how the machine performs without using macchanger.

It might be interesting to know how the machine performs without using macchanger.
Fair point did not even see the thing about changing his MAC - seems that most Internet Companies assign your IP and record your MAC at activation - then link the MAC to the IP from what I understand when a residential gateway is changed, the internet provider sees a different MAC address being reported and blocks that network from going online. It may take a few minutes for the IP to catch it, but they usually do

I had problems before with a hacker blocking my MAC address, because when I changed the MAC it started to browse, but now I use macchanger to be sure there is no blocking possibility, in the morning I was unable to browse but when I changed it the IP, I set a static IP and then started to browser again, but during the night, I was unable to browse again, so I changed the MAC, change the IP using dhclient, but nothing seems to work, so I suspect that the hacker is turning off the interface on the router because is not a MAC or IP problem. but I also think that something is being changed in the system, I don't know what could be changed to stop browsing, I saw the /etc/hosts and the /etc/resolv.conf, no changes on those files happened, what could be done in the system to stop browsing? or is it just a router problem?

@luizfernandorg
Note that if there is MAC filter enabled on router then you'll be able to connect just fine but won't be able to do anything else including browsing.

In that case you need to own the router to either disable mac filter or add your MAC to allowed devices in the router.
Are you owner of the router or using public one or something else?

It sounds like you're having a router problem. Try setting a static IPv4 address in /etc/network/interfaces. It looks to me like you're having a problem renewing your DHCP lease. Your MAC address shouldn't cross your router anyway, though it may determine your IPv6 address which certainly will. Is this router built in to your modem? If so you might consider using an external wifi router that connects to your modem with Ethernet. Make sure your external router uses a different local subnet than your modem uses.

As for ping, it can use cap_net_raw which can be set by root using setcap cap_net_raw=eip /usr/bin/ping and this will allow all users to use ping.

What kind of encryption does your wifi use? Does it use WPA2 or WPA3. It shouldn't use anything less. Though all types of wifi encryption are pretty useless anyway when trying to keep a hacker out. This is why https exists. Always check your little padlock icon next to the URL box.

Signed,

Matthew Campbell

I don't know prank maybe!
A hacker is not going to take the time to hack you as a prank, but either to make money or to get some useful data from you or to use your PC for something. Companies are mostly more interesting for hackers to hack and if they do hack an individual it's to make their PC part of a botnet.

do you guys know any hacker forum?
If you really think you are hacked, better to just wipe you computer and reinstall it. Maybe with a different distribution to verify that the problem was not with your Debian installation/configuration.

when I changed my MAC using macchanger it worked I was able to connect.
Your MAC address is used on your LAN to know where to send data requests, so it's not as simple as just blocking your MAC address.

Last edited:
I don't have control of the router, it belongs to the internet service I bought, and they have control of the router remotely.

Staff online

Members online