Rock Roxx

One more kick ass with a GOOD sound system.

Hey @Hillbilly H , tell you a story about my experience with Sweet.

They did Brisbane's Festival Hall (capacity 4,000) August 29 - 30 1975, and my mate Ross and I went to see them.

We were in the lower section of the hall, maybe 20 rows back. From the start, everybody jumped up and we couldn't see.

The seats were not unlike the below, but with less seat padding, and harder material.

iFDRFMb.png

I was 4 weeks short of 18 at the time, and 5'10". Even on the set I could not see all, so I went on up and stood on the armrests of the seat. Ross was 6'4" so he was OK standing on the seat itself.

There we remained for a little over the 2 hours duration of the concert (my benchmark for good value with an artist).

It was exhausting, but well worth it, IMO. "Fox On The Run" of course featured, and Wikipedia have this.

"Fox on the Run" is a 1975 song by the British glam rock band Sweet, first recorded in 1974. It was the first Sweet single written by the band, rather than producers Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman, and was their 14th single overall. The song became the best charting single in Australia in 1975, with six weeks at number one.[4]

Two versions were recorded by Sweet. The original version was produced by Mike Chapman in association with Nicky Chinn on the European version of the 1974 album Desolation Boulevard. Sweet also recorded and produced a more pop-oriented version as a 7" single in 1975, which is the more familiar version of the song.

Avagudweegend

Wiz

There we remained for a little over the 2 hours duration of the concert (my benchmark for good value with an artist).
Not that many years ago, I was in Lesotho and was invited to a maturation celebration among the Tswana people. As was the custom, I spent hours mostly jumping up and down and dancing. This was easily a four hour block of time but the music never stopped and I felt obligated to continue what I started.

I was in my fifties at the time. (I never could have afforded the time off before retirement.) It reminded me a bit of my youth when I'd dance for four or more hours at a festival. Well, it also reminded me of my age and my fragility - the following days.

For the record, the jumping is kind of energy saving. You're mostly using your feet and calves. It's not a low-stooping kind of jump. Your legs should more or less stay straight. Your ability to jump, and your ability to keep that jumping up, is a measure of your virility. The young ladies of the village watch on with keen interest and whoop to give motivation.

Do not do this. You will regret it for several days. I can now bow out gracefully, having smashed my femur to all heck back in 2018. So, I've got that going for me!

The original version

Yeah, the one they featured in the concert (and hit our number 1 spot) was the one I played, I like them both, but prefer the one with the vocals shared.

Let's hope for a speedy recovery for Barnesy.

ok...lots of talking....Lots...in French.

BUT....wait for the lady to sing....wait for it

Another loss with streaming is the idea of the 'concept album'. Now an album is just a collection of tracks, typically unrelated. Before, many albums had a concept that was explored throughout. We'll maybe never see another Tommy album (or The Wall, of Zofo/IV, etc.) again in mainstream music.

I usually champion the virtues of an original artist with a song they have produced, and say of subsequent versions "Aw, that's just a cover version".

I think I first had to suck it up with Manfred Mann's version of "Blinded By The Light", which I liked, and still do, over the original by Bruce Springsteen, even though I am a fan of Bruce's work.

Now I have the same dilemma.

Some of you may know that I am a big fan of Tears For Fears, and here is their offering of "Mad World"

Written by Roland Orzabal and sung by bassist Curt Smith, it was the band's third single release. 1982, and never ages, IMO.

BUT (and you know about Wizard's butt)

A cover was released for a film, in 2001 - Michael Andrews and Gary Jules performed the most notable cover of “Mad World” for the soundtrack of the 2001 psychological thriller Donnie Darko.

I just love their take on it, and I find the video quite intriguing.

Cheers

and have a safe and happy new year, all

Wizard

I have to say, the Michael Andrews and Gary Jules cover gets my vote.

I found the vid mesmerising.

Members online

Latest posts