Rock Roxx

WE ARE THE WORLD..... 28 January 1985

16603ddd50bf35b8b075d96b8166da5a.jpg

One of my favorite trivia questions is, "Who was the 2nd guy in WHAM!"?

This is what this song is about. This is a traditional Jamaican song that was sung by dock workers who worked throughout the night loading bananas onto ships. It's daylight, and they look forward to the arrival of the Tallyman (who will take inventory) so they can go home.

That's be andrew ridgley !

I was a poor college student and made a good portion of my income through music.

One of the bands I was in was a 'top 40' band - in the 80s.

I won't say I have PTSD from the experience, but man I played some horrible music.

I have covered a couple of WHAM! songs.

I think the worst thing I did was play a keytar on stage - while looking and dressing the part.

^^^ Kind of like a piano....without the massive weight ^^^^
iu

I wonder if anyone spotted that Harry Belafonte was in the lineup at "We Are The World"?

Unfortunately, the ABC article on the "We Are The World" documentary is also off-base, where it says

The thing is, the British had already done it a year earlier.

Certainly the Brits had done theirs in the previous year, 1984, but they were only 9 weeks apart.

Band Aid 25 November 1984, and USA for Africa 28 January 1985.

Watched 'em both at the time, enjoyed them both, then and still now.

Wiz.

I wonder if anyone spotted that Harry Belafonte was in the lineup at "We Are The World"?

LOL How could I not?!? I had the chance to see him in concert in that same era. My favorite song from him is Matilda. He usually gets the audience involved and it's amazing how well he does so.

Yes.
I believe (from what I have read) that Harry instigated we are the world when he phoned Lionel Ritchie and said, "we have white people saving black folk but we dont have black people saving black folk" (or words to that effect).......The rest is history.

Unfortunately, the ABC article on the "We Are The World" documentary is also off-base, where it says

Certainly the Brits had done theirs in the previous year, 1984, but they were only 9 weeks apart.

Band Aid 25 November 1984, and USA for Africa 28 January 1985.

Watched 'em both at the time, enjoyed them both, then and still now.

Wiz.
I like the Band Aid more.

Why isn't there a preview of the video in my post?

Copy the url and paste it here

Last edited:

Members online