[SOLVED] PLEASE HELP | GNU GRUB version 2.04-20kali1 | BOOT-UP PROBLEMS !!!

Of course you can just use FAT32 when you reformat the Thumb Drive
Nope... Didn't work... I'm back at GNU GRUB again...
I deleted everything, fully erased and deleted (formatted) the USB and redownloaded, reinstalled the recommended live boot option at kali.org, flashed it, plugged it in and back to square one again... :(

Let's try this again, please.
I need to figure this out and make it work ASAP.
I'd much appreciate it.

Last edited:

Don't forget to check the integrity of the .iso before you make it bootable with Etcher.

UPDATE

UPDATE

It has successfully worked!
I guess balenaEtcher is not designed to handle flashing Kali Linux.

DISCLAIMER:
USE RUFUS TO FLASH

I've watched so many youtube videos as well as read through so many websites, been trying to figure this out since 8 pm till now, 5:20 am GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using a Lenovo IdeaPad with no hard drive. I have another SanDisk 16Gb USB with Tails OS on it which works perfectly fine.

I downloaded 'kali-linux-2021.3a-live-amd64' from the 'Live Boot' option from Kali.org, the 'recommended' one.
I then used 'balenaEtcher' to flash and burn it into a brand new SanDisk 16Gb USB.
I inserted the USB into the laptop and booted it in. (The same way I've done with Tails OS)
What I expected to come up with was Kalis boot options but instead what came up was not what I expected and I have never experienced or seen it:

"GNU GRUB version 2.04-20kali1"
"Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions"

It is nor grub rescue>: or GRUB:
It is grub>

when I do
grub> ls
It comes up with:
(memdisk) (hd0) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1)

When I do
grub> set
It comes up with:
?=0
cmdpath=(hd0,msdos2)/EFI/BOOT
color_highlight=black/light-gray
color_normal=light-gray/black
feature_200_finial=y
feature_all_video_module=y
feature_chainloader_bpb=y
feature_deafult_font_path=y
feature_menuentry_id=y
feature_menuentry_options=y
feature_nativedisk_cmd=y
feature_ntldr=y
grub_cpu=x86_64
grub_platform=efi
lang=
locale_dir=
pager=
prefix=(memdisk)/boot/grub
root=memdisk
secondary_locale_dir=

Now, I've tried doing:
grub> set root=(hd0,msdos2)
grub> set prefix=(hd0,msdos2)/boot/grub

Then:
grub> insmod normal
grub> normal

But then it wipes everything and shows this on the top left corner while spazzing out:
error: no such device: /.disk/info.
_

I have to then shut off the laptop then start again...
I've tried other ways as well...

I've been at this for a long time and nothing online is helping, either it's unclear, not my specific problem or other.
So while searching I found another person @Q86y (https://www.linux.org/threads/please-help-me-asap-kali-gnu-grub-bootloader-v2-02.28497/) with a similar problem ish. But he didn't fight it through and instead switched to parrots and was never resolved, so I've started my own account and have made my own thread to get some hands-on support hopefully.

This problem is making me feel stupid and I really wanna resolve this. So please, ASAP.
Reply and ask for anything, I'll be very active and REALLY want this fixed, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you!
Did you got any other solution for this..? I just got the same to same problem with the live kali on my USB...

I want to install Kali Linux

And:

(Installer) 64bit

You answered your own question.

Kali is not for you. Kali is for *experienced* Linux users who need penetration tools. It's not meant to be your main desktop. It's not a generic desktop. It's not meant for beginners.

Again...

Kali is not for beginners. Learn to use Linux with a regular distro and then tackle Kali - if you actually need the tools.

I've watched so many youtube videos as well as read through so many websites, been trying to figure this out since 8 pm till now, 5:20 am GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm using a Lenovo IdeaPad with no hard drive. I have another SanDisk 16Gb USB with Tails OS on it which works perfectly fine.

I downloaded 'kali-linux-2021.3a-live-amd64' from the 'Live Boot' option from Kali.org, the 'recommended' one.
I then used 'balenaEtcher' to flash and burn it into a brand new SanDisk 16Gb USB.
I inserted the USB into the laptop and booted it in. (The same way I've done with Tails OS)
What I expected to come up with was Kalis boot options but instead what came up was not what I expected and I have never experienced or seen it:

"GNU GRUB version 2.04-20kali1"
"Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions"

It is nor grub rescue>: or GRUB:
It is grub>

when I do
grub> ls
It comes up with:
(memdisk) (hd0) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1)

When I do
grub> set
It comes up with:
?=0
cmdpath=(hd0,msdos2)/EFI/BOOT
color_highlight=black/light-gray
color_normal=light-gray/black
feature_200_finial=y
feature_all_video_module=y
feature_chainloader_bpb=y
feature_deafult_font_path=y
feature_menuentry_id=y
feature_menuentry_options=y
feature_nativedisk_cmd=y
feature_ntldr=y
grub_cpu=x86_64
grub_platform=efi
lang=
locale_dir=
pager=
prefix=(memdisk)/boot/grub
root=memdisk
secondary_locale_dir=

Now, I've tried doing:
grub> set root=(hd0,msdos2)
grub> set prefix=(hd0,msdos2)/boot/grub

Then:
grub> insmod normal
grub> normal

But then it wipes everything and shows this on the top left corner while spazzing out:
error: no such device: /.disk/info.
_

I have to then shut off the laptop then start again...
I've tried other ways as well...

I've been at this for a long time and nothing online is helping, either it's unclear, not my specific problem or other.
So while searching I found another person @Q86y (https://www.linux.org/threads/please-help-me-asap-kali-gnu-grub-bootloader-v2-02.28497/) with a similar problem ish. But he didn't fight it through and instead switched to parrots and was never resolved, so I've started my own account and have made my own thread to get some hands-on support hopefully.

This problem is making me feel stupid and I really wanna resolve this. So please, ASAP.
Reply and ask for anything, I'll be very active and REALLY want this fixed, I'd appreciate it.
Thank you!
I'm still facing the same problem plz can u help me I tried everything....I tried every command!! But still nothing has worked .
Im trying to use Kali Linux through usb!! Literally I'm trying from 4 days!!

Did you got any other solution for this..? I just got the same to same problem with the live kali on my USB...
Dude same here .....
What about u?? Is it solved?? Plz help me if u find any solution

This is an old post, the OP has not been seen for a long time, you would do better starting your own thread.
Before you do that, Are you an Experienced Linux user and are you terminal competent, If not you should not even be considering using Kali, [read first 2 post in the Kali forum and the official Kali documentation page on their website]

Why Linux fails to load, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balina-etcher
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/dvd
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

Members online