First move, install FireFox, when you are done

click at three dash at the top right corner
from the pop-up menu click ''more tools''
then ''customize toolbar''
in the bottom left untick ''title bar''
I keep reading this for Firefox. But all I ever get as options are

• Menu Bar
  • Bookmarks Toolbar

.....and that's it. I never get the option for "Title Bar"....

(shrug)

Mike. :(

I keep reading this for Firefox. But all I ever get as options are

• Menu Bar
  • Bookmarks Toolbar

.....and that's it. I never get the option for "Title Bar"....

(shrug)

Do you see the option ''more tools'' in the three dashes pop-up menu?

Do you see the option ''more tools'' in the three dashes pop-up menu?
Oh, aye. Follow that through to 'Customize', then down into the bottom left-hand corner.....where all I see is the two options as stated above.

I kinda wonder if it might be anything to do with the way we run Firefox under Puppy as a 'portable' application? Because we've been doing that for at least 4 years now.....the same amount of time I've been trying - and failing! - to find this particular option.
wonder-small.gif

(I don't believe anybody else who runs the portable version has ever been able to find the 'Titlebar' toggle either... I'm afraid I point-blank refuse to install any browser as a "normal" application, because the damn things constantly want updating.....and the portable format makes doing so an absolute breeze.)

I can certainly live without it, but I do find it curious that everybody else can locate the option, whereas for US it simply isn't there.

Last edited:
(I don't believe anybody else who runs the portable version has ever been able to find the 'Titlebar' toggle either... I'm afraid I point-blank refuse to install any browser as a "normal" application, because the damn things constantly want updating.....and the portable format makes doing so an absolute breeze.)
Well, let's check that out shall we?

Just grabbed the latest FF "portable", navigated to the Cutomize area and low and behold.........the titlebar check.
Screenshot.png

Firefox and the derivatives like librewolf and palemoon use the term "toolbar" rather than "titlebar".

@PuppyHome :-

Mm. See, all I get is this:-

Screenshot-301.png

No sign of the "Title Bar" checkbox at all. Weird, huh? And all I can do is this:-

GIFCap-50.gif

Where IS that pesky "Title Bar" checkbox.....hmm? No biggie, like.....but I AM dead curious as to what's going on! o_O

Mike.
wonder-small.gif

What version of Firefox are you running.
Puppy Linux that I have run usually run older versions of software.
I have Upup Jammy64 and it has the latest version (114.0.1) of Firefox.

@MikeWalsh That is strange indeed......

As mentioned above, maybe a version thing? Mention: I did download the FF-ESR version though.

:oops:

@datnguyen ...I am not sure why you would wish to use microsoft edge browser.....but that is your choice.

By searching on the net I see it has many problems.

It is based on Chrome....you could always use Chrome browser....or Chromium browser

ALo the Brave browser is also based on chrome

@The Duck / @PuppyHome :-

Mm.

As mentioned above, maybe a version thing?

I'm starting to think this may be right.....but not in the way you guys are thinking.

See, as stated before, I'm unusual among geeks. I don't insist on always running the very newest versions of everything. My Firefox-portable is indeed at 114.0.1 currently.......but the Puppy I spend most of my time in - my "daily driver" - is a heavily-modified build of a 'lite' version of Barry's old Quirky 'April' 7.0.1. Much of the important stuff has been upgraded to the latest versions, including a 5-series kernel and a much newer glibc, along with updated dbus, SSL, certs, etc.....but Quirky is nearly a decade old at this point. It was released some time in 2015, though the main reason it's remained functional for so long is entirely due to Barry always creating his builds by compiling the very newest, cutting-edge versions of dependencies into everything.

It still uses the old /usr/X11R7 directory for graphical rendering stuff.....which hasn't been mainstream for a very long time!

I'm suspecting GTK+ at this point. I think it could be a rendering thing......Quirky essentially uses GTK+ 2.0. The 'portable' has self-contained libs for GTK 3.0+, because Firefox won't run without them, but I've never been certain to what extent they get utilised. Now; I've got an install of jrb's Jammypup64 - which I'm testing ATM - so I'm going to re-boot into that & see what happens.

I'll report back.

Mike. ;)

Weird.

Even In jrb's Upup Jammy64, running the current Firefox-portable AND using a brand-new profile, there is still no sign of the "Title Bar" option....

Can't figure this one out. However, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.....and we've already dragged datnguyen's thread WAYYY off-topic, so I'm going to write it off as just one of those things. It's not even like FF gets that much use, anyway; I've been a Chrome man for a long time, so....

Sod's law, I think..!!

Mike. ;)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts