[UNSOLVED] ventoy UEFI causing system to freeze.

There's often a sleep/hibernate option in the BIOS (technically UEFI, I suppose, in your instance).

Maybe that's the switch that needs to be pulled.
There is no options of sleep or suspend in my UEFI.

There is no options of sleep or suspend in my UEFI.
Systemd has suspend and hibernate functions. They can be checked with the following, then stopped and disabled at will:
Code:
systemctl status systemd-hibernate.service
systemctl status systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service
systemctl status systemd-suspend.service

Guys I still don't know what's causing this tpm error but I think you guys understood by reading the logs. But I think I missed to mention that tpm error does cause it to freeze the device but before the tpm error shows in journald application one by one starts to crash. Like browser and terminal then tpm error shows. So I'm suspecting the root cause is not tpm?

Guys I still don't know what's causing this tpm error but I think you guys understood by reading the logs. But I think I missed to mention that tpm error does cause it to freeze the device but before the tpm error shows in journald application one by one starts to crash. Like browser and terminal then tpm error shows. So I'm suspecting the root cause is not tpm?
It isn't quite clear since the stack trace doesn't actually show what process is the problem. But my guess would be that something to do with this line.
Mar 16 19:53:05 prisoner-deb-asus kernel: CPU: 0 PID: 4520 Comm: ProcessHangMon Not tainted 6.1.0-18-amd64 #1 Debian 6.1.76-1
And then there's this line.
Mar 16 19:53:05 prisoner-deb-asus kernel: file:locale-archive fault:filemap_fault mmap:ext4_file_mmap [ext4] read_folio:ext4_read_folio [ext4]
Which makes me thing it could have something to do with your filesystem, since there was a bug sometime ago with ext4 and the kernel.

Would it be possible to get a clearer picture the pictures you orginally post, since that looks like kernel dump which might provide some more information than in the stack trace in the log file output you shared?

Just of curiosity how does your laptop react when live-booting a distribution such as Linux Mint or Ubuntu, do you experience the same crashes/freezes then?

It isn't quite clear since the stack trace doesn't actually show what process is the problem. But my guess would be that something to do with this line.

And then there's this line.

Which makes me thing it could have something to do with your filesystem, since there was a bug sometime ago with ext4 and the kernel.

Would it be possible to get a clearer picture the pictures you orginally post, since that looks like kernel dump which might provide some more information than in the stack trace in the log file output you shared?

Just of curiosity how does your laptop react when live-booting a distribution such as Linux Mint or Ubuntu, do you experience the same crashes/freezes then?
I have not started an live disk yet.. but before debian I used Manjaro and it didn't caused any error

@price1221:
A speculative look at the logs throw up a number of issues, which may or may not be to do with TPM at all. It's possible that the TPM focus is a red herring.

Logs in post #55 show the graphics card failing:
Code:
ERROR:gpu_processs_host.cc(1030)] GPU process exited unexpectedly: exit_code=11

For the error with exit_code=11 the only hint of a solution I could find in a brief search was this:
I found that it has something to with hardware acceleration, possibly video decoder, because with option --disable-accelerated-video-decode chrome starts.

This suggests that you try to disable hardware acceleration. Not being a user of wayland, I can't say how to do that in wayland. In X it's very straight forward for the intel GPU by adding a configuration snippet in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/. But, perhaps if you were running X instead of wayland, it may not be necessary because wayland is still software in development and these issues may be wayland specific. I can't say.

In the logs of post #48 there are some serious indicators:
Code:
gsd-media-keys      |SIGSEGV ...
fatal error: fault

The SIGSEGV is a segmentation fault which means that some function in a program has accessed an invalid memory address. This sort of fault is commonly involved in freezes and crashes. One can imagine how one program improperly uses memory addresses for another which would result in the other program being unable to run properly causing unpredictable results.

There's a similar fault in the log here which I take to be associated with the microsoft-edge browser:
Code:
msedge[49251]: segfault <at a number of addresses>

It gives the address 0x0008a3890. Whatever the function is at that address, is particular to your machine so it's not identifiable.

These problems do not appear prima facie to be concerned with TPM.
You might like to consider running X to see if the same freezes occur, and perhaps with another browser.

These remarks are speculative and investigative rather definitive, but since the issue persists, it's probably worth looking at these things.

Last edited:
On an ASUS with an INTEL i series CPU, the TPM toggle should be in the BIOS/UEFI in either advanced or security settings, listed as Intel trusted platform module

I have not started an live disk yet.. but before debian I used Manjaro and it didn't caused any error
I'm getting the feeling it might be kernel related, since you weren't having this with Manjaro. Would you mind trying to install a kernel that is not provided by Debian, that way we have another thing to rule out?

On an ASUS with an INTEL i series CPU, the TPM toggle should be in the BIOS/UEFI in either advanced or security settings, listed as Intel trusted platform module
There's not tpm listed as mentioned earlier in the thread, OP has this BIOS.

I'm getting the feeling it might be kernel related, since you weren't having this with Manjaro. Would you mind trying to install a kernel that is not provided by Debian, that way we have another thing to rule out?
Thanks for sticking with thread for this long time I really appreciate your help :) . Like I previously mentioned I haven't worked with kernel manually previously. Could you kindly provide some resources blogs or which distro kernel you want me to install?

@price1221:
A speculative look at the logs throw up a number of issues, which may or may not be to do with TPM at all. It's possible that the TPM focus is a red herring.

Logs in post #55 show the graphics card failing:
Code:
ERROR:gpu_processs_host.cc(1030)] GPU process exited unexpectedly: exit_code=11

For the error with exit_code=11 the only hint of a solution I could find in a brief search was this:

This suggests that you try to disable hardware acceleration. Not being a user of wayland, I can't say how to do that in wayland. In X it's very straight forward for the intel GPU by adding a configuration snippet in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/. But, perhaps if you were running X instead of wayland, it may not be necessary because wayland is still software in development and these issues may be wayland specific. I can't say.

In the logs of post #48 there are some serious indicators:
Code:
gsd-media-keys      |SIGSEGV ...
fatal error: fault

The SIGSEGV is a segmentation fault which means that some function in a program has accessed an invalid memory address. This sort of fault is commonly involved in freezes and crashes. One can imagine how one program improperly uses memory addresses for another which would result in the other program being unable to run properly causing unpredictable results.

There's a similar fault in the log here which I take to be associated with the microsoft-edge browser:
Code:
msedge[49251]: segfault <at a number of addresses>

It gives the address 0x0008a3890. Whatever the function is at that address, is particular to your machine so it's not identifiable.

These problems do not appear prima facie to be concerned with TPM.
You might like to consider running X to see if the same freezes occur, and perhaps with another browser.

These remarks are speculative and investigative rather definitive, but since the issue persists, it's probably worth looking at these things.
I have used Firefox, chromium (with hardware acceleration disabled in browser) and even switched to X environment manager. But in x I didn't disabled hardware acceleration. The issue was persistent. Do you want me to move to x and disable hardware acceleration?

Thanks for sticking with thread for this long time I really appreciate your help :) . Like I previously mentioned I haven't worked with kernel manually previously. Could you kindly provide some resources blogs or which distro kernel you want me to install?
You can run the command on the page I linked.
Code:
curl -s 'https://liquorix.net/install-liquorix.sh' | sudo bash
I read the script and test it out on a vm, all it does is add the sources for Debian to install that kernel from and then it install that kernel. If with that kernel the same issue still happens, you can uninstall it afterwards and then boot into the normal kernel again. Since you say it didn't happen with Manjaro, I have the feeling it might be Debian kernel related and booting this kernel might rule something out.

Code:
I read the script and test it out on a vm, all it does is add the sources for Debian to install that kernel from and then it install that kernel.
Ah sorry I'm on walk that's why I missed the link. I'll do this as soon as I reach my laptop thanks again

Systemd has suspend and hibernate functions. They can be checked with the following, then stopped and disabled at will:
Code:
systemctl status systemd-hibernate.service
systemctl status systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service
systemctl status systemd-suspend.service
1711270131394.png

Code:
I read the script and test it out on a vm, all it does is add the sources for Debian to install that kernel from and then it install that kernel. If with that kernel the same issue still happens, you can uninstall it afterwards and then boot into the normal kernel again. Since you say it didn't happen with Manjaro, I have the feeling it might be Debian kernel related and booting this kernel might rule something out.
Code:
[INFO ] Liquorix repository added successfully to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libelf1t64 : Breaks: libelf1 (< 0.191-1)
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

should i just remove libelf1t64 ?

Staff online