What’s best for Beginners?

TheGame12

Reaction score
Credits
I wish to build a PC, however I don’t really want to pay the $130 to get Windows on a custom built PC (I had Windows on a Laptop, however it croaked on me), and I was wondering which one would be best for
A. A beginner (Duh!)
And B. These things I’ll be doing:

- Programming, this will include (This is mostly why I thought of Linux!):
- Graphical Stuff with Unity
- Website stuff
- Graphics Stuff with OpenGL and OptiX
- PCVR development with Unity
- Minecraft Mod Development
  • 3D Modeling and Rendering with Blender
  • Homework sometimes on chrome or Firefox cause Linux
  • playing video games, some of them are:
- Spider Man Remastered (On PC)
- Minecraft
- Subnautica
- Various PCVR games, like Half-Life Alyx
- Portal 1 and 2
- Some AI and ML stuff, maybe

I know Linux isn’t built for gaming, however one that could run Proton or Wine would be a plus. :)

Thanks for the help, wonderful Linux community!

Lubuntu is an Ubuntu distro that will look a lot more like Windows and be more familiar to you.

That's a good place to start.

There are a zillion and one answers to this question.

See also:

Lubuntu is an Ubuntu distro that will look a lot more like Windows and be more familiar to you.

That's a good place to start.

There are a zillion and one answers to this question.

See also:

I’ll definitely check it out, thanks!

Hello @TheGame12,
Welcome to Linux.org forum.
This page maybe of help in determining which distro you may like.
Also I recommend trying several distros on live media so you can get a feel for them. Remember on live sessions they will be a bit slower than installed. But it will give you a good Idea of what is available and let you try some different desktops also.
I like KDE/plasma and would suggest trying Kubuntu as one of them. Enjoy the journey!

That’s what I’ve read, I just wanted the opinion of the L I N U X C O M M U N I T Y
The top 10 most subscribed people on YouTube, who are recommending distros for beginners, are the Linux community. The only thing that differentiates them from us is that they have a pretty face for the camera.

If you were to ask us directly, which you are, you will only get the same answer as they already provided, with a slight bias towards each person's distro of choice, which will occasionally spark some petty bickering over each person's preferred recommendation.

Considering what a good job is Linux doing for my gaming experience, I find it almost hard to believe it wasn't built for gaming.

I wish to build a PC, however I don’t really want to pay the $130 to get Windows on a custom built PC (I had Windows on a Laptop, however it croaked on me), and I was wondering which one would be best for
A. A beginner (Duh!)

- Website stuff
- Minecraft
- Subnautica
- Portal 1 and 2

I know Linux isn’t built for gaming, however one that could run Proton or Wine would be a plus. :)

you want arch base, in my experience kde is more customizable but has bugs, gnome does not but it is harder to theme, gnome is faster so i use garuda gnome version with pop-shell for window tiling from pop os and gamescope-session-git for steamdeck os exact copy
this is a daily driver build and is touch friendly too
highly recommend my build and the just perfection, vitals, app indicator extensions, (extensions and tweaks and all other stuff for ease of use is already installed) you can easily debloat with the included add/remove software gui or use terminal when all else fails and type (case sensitive)
sudo pacman -R "name of package"
example for installing pop-shell: sudo pacman -S pop-shell then enter sudo pw
example for removing pop-shell: sudo pacman -R pop-shell then enter sudo pw
terminal is straightforward as hell and by default uses fish and installs all dependencies and looks for conflicting packages before installing packages so do not be scared to use terminal

A. A beginner (Duh!)

- Website stuff
- Minecraft
- Subnautica
- Portal 1 and 2

omg it is SO BUILT FOR GAMING NOW AND IF YOU FOLLOWED MY GUIDE YOU ARE A HAPPY MAN

Give Retro Arch a spin:-

It works great for me on my Mint 21.1 install:-

How so? Most the things I’ve read have said it’s pretty great. What’s so bad about it for gaming? (Love the username by the way)
fine ill just halp and not be a toxic arch penguin

garuda os gnome version for speed and stability with minimal bloat
u need to install steam and pop-shell for window tiling that pop os uses
this is an uber light and fast distro
then for gaming add in gamemode mango hud goverlay and gamescope-session-git (in the AUR) you need to build it its easy just reply if you need help, the gamescope thingy is for a full fat steamdeck os that acts like a real steamdeck down to the damn default resolution, the only caviot at all is having to manually set resolution in each game properties tab

fine ill just halp and not be a toxic arch penguin

garuda os gnome version for speed and stability with minimal bloat
u need to install steam and pop-shell for window tiling that pop os uses
this is an uber light and fast distro
then for gaming add in gamemode mango hud goverlay and gamescope-session-git (in the AUR) you need to build it its easy just reply if you need help, the gamescope thingy is for a full fat steamdeck os that acts like a real steamdeck down to the damn default resolution, the only caviot at all is having to manually set resolution in each game properties tab
Ahem, I use arch btw

it runs zen amd kernel WITH intel too, its huge compatibility with most modern hardware, only thing is peripherals from cheap brands, dlink works for wifi

Members online