How can I unmount my windows partitions from linux in a dualboot?

LinuxIng10

Reaction score
Credits
I want to make it so that linux doesn't have any access to my windows partitions.

What distro? What desktop?

The other option is to remove fat32 exfat compatibility. But then you wouldn't be able to use Fat32
USB thumb drives in Linux.

You can also mount them "read only". You can see them, but no one can change anything on them.

I want to make it so that linux doesn't have any access to my windows partitions.
Linux will only access your Windows files/folders if you tell it to

Why would Linux want anything to do with windoze in the first place.
m0120.gif

Some distros do automaticly mount your windows partition. To unmount it first make sure no processes are using the mountpoint.

lsof /media/{user}/{mountpoint}

then simply unmount the directory:

umount /media/{user}/{mountpoint}

Some distros do automaticly mount your windows partition. To unmount it first make sure no processes are using the mountpoint.

lsof /media/{user}/{mountpoint}

then simply unmount the directory:

umount /media/{user}/{mountpoint}
Linux can mount a partition that a windows OS might have access to, e.g. an ntfs partition, but in normal circumstances, if ever, it needs to be configured in the first place by user's intervention through, for example, the /etc/fstab file or by configuring and running systemd.mount, or by customised or manual partitioning upon installation. It's through those sort of means that such mounting can be specifically made automatic. That specificity was the sort of thing I took to be inferred by @Brickwizard in post #3.

If you are using windows pro you can simply run bitlocker on the partition you do not want to see windows by default. I do this and run a script to enter the bitlocker key if I want to access what is on the windows drive. If you are using windows home this will only work if linux is on its own hard drive since windows uses whole disk encryption.

One final note if you are setting this up for the first time make sure everything is decrypted until everything is set up. I have not tried it but am told bad things may happen if you attempt dual boot with linux. Good luck

Members online